Wanted: international tutors!
Why international tutoring?
As an international tutor you will get to enjoy the company of the new international students while gaining skills and experiences that are also valuable in working life. Tutoring is a spectacular opportunity to learn intercultural communication, organisational skills, team working and language skills. What would be a nicer way to meet people and create networks all around the world, than playing a key role when the University hosts over 200 international students from 40 different countries every year? Each tutor has a handful of students to take care of per semester.
The exchange students arrive for the Autumn semester at the end of August / in the beginning of September and for the Spring semester in the beginning of January. If you are available during that time and ready for your new home based adventure, then all you need to do is apply (application period 25.2.-10.3.2019)!
As an international tutor you:
- - get in touch with incoming students even before their exchange starts
- - meet your students when they arrive in Rovaniemi
- - help students with housing, banking and registration
- - give students advice on practical academic matters like using WebOodi and registering for courses
- - help students adjust to culture and student life in Finland and Rovaniemi
Becoming a tutor
If you are a degree student at the University of Lapland, you can apply to become a tutor. In addition to the valuable experience, you will receive a modest fee for the work. There is also an opportunity to get 2 ECTS credits for tutoring. If you plan to go abroad yourself on an exchange, tutoring experience can be of your advantage when universities decide on exchange places. Due to the international networking while tutoring, you might then also have a friend waiting for you in the destination.
Interested? Seize the opportunity and apply to become an international tutor:
- 1. Fill out the form: https://link.webropolsurveys.com/S/6BBBFE673975E758 (25.2.-10.3.2019)
- 2. Take part in the training for tutors
As an international tutor you are part of the University’s international team. You will receive support and training for the job. The training will be this Spring: on Monday April 29th 12-15 and on Thursday May 9th 9-12. We will announce the schedule for the two other parts of the training (cultural adaptation -lecture and DAS -tour) later. Stay tuned!